Thursday 20 October 2011

Open all of life's lil gift boxes

That was my lesson for the day. Lemme rewind to yesterday. Here I was, minding my own business (quite literally), when I get a call from an old (not literally) friend who desperately needed someone to judge a  'Cabin Decoration Competition' at an IT firm the next day. I've never done such stuff. I don't wanna do it. Sounds like a waste of time. Plus they aren't likely to pay anything. So I say no. She insists. I say maybe not. She insists some more. I say I'll think about it. She says ok. And a few minutes later I am kicking myself wondering whatever happened to my sense of adventure. Am I growing old, or, growing dead? I call back and say a big yes. And boy, am I glad I did.

The event was part of the Diwali celebration week. Diwali, the festival of lights. And sweets. And firecrackers. And new clothes. And weird cabin decoration competitions. Which I very much enjoyed btw. It was a hoot to see the usually staid office spaces decorated gaily with wide ranging themes from 'Jurassic Park' to 'Bachelors' Pad'(don't ask!); from 'Green Diwali' to 'Fire station'. One of the teams claimed to have used only office supplies to decorate their cubicle and I have more than a slight suspicion that the auspicious vermilion that was  smeared on our foreheads (its an Indian Hindu custom) as a welcome, had permanent marker ink in it ! I'm still sporting what looks like a gunshot in my forehead !!

Long story short, had lots of fun, met new people, had the pleasure of 500 young men shouting back a grinning hello, got invited to be a judge at a dance and dramatics event in a college...AND got paid for it all. Too bad I couldn't squeeze in any quilting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment